These paintings are some of the works of the painter and illustrator Georg von Peschke (1900-1959). Peschke was born in the Austro-Hungarian Empire (present-day Croatia), and in the 1920s moved to Greece, where he met his wife, Faltaina, a native of Skyros (Skyros became a frequent subject of his art). His paintings, drawings, and prints were featured in several exhibitions in Athens in the 1920s and 1930s, and he was a member of the League of Greek Artists. Peschke also found employment as an archaeological illustrator and architect for American archaeological projects in Greece, and his illustrations are featured in many excavation reports.
Peschke was the focus of a retrospective exhibit at Franklin & Marshall College and Bryn Mawr College in the spring of 2012, "Colors of Greece: The Art and Archaeology of Georg von Peschke." More images of artwork and documentation by and about Peschke can be seen on the exhibition website.